Parking and Traffic

  1. The purpose of these regulations is to reduce traffic congestion and facilitate orderly parking. The Alabama State Motor Vehicle and Traffic Law is also in full force on the campus. Wallace State Community College establishes fees and fines for parking on the campus.
  2. Students must register vehicles routinely driven on campus. Registration information includes student number, driver’s license number, make and model of vehicle, and tag number of vehicle.
  3. At the time the vehicle is registered, the College will issue a hanging decal. It should be facing forward on the inside rear-view mirror. Only the current decal should be displayed. Additional hanging decals can be purchased for $5.00.
  4. Drivers are responsible for finding an authorized parking space.  
  5. A parking permit does not guarantee the holder a parking space but only an opportunity to park within a specified parking area. Ownership of the parking permit remains with the college.
  6. Abandoned vehicles left over 14 days, are subject to removal from campus.

Regulations and Fines

It is prohibited to park:

  1. Without a valid permit displayed-$20
  2. In “No Parking” areas (yellow curbs)-$20
  3. In a handicapped space without a valid handicapped permit prominently displayed-$50
  4. On the grass, sidewalk, crosswalks-$20
  5. On or over painted lines in parking stalls-$20
  6. Backwards into parking places. (Rear of vehicle must face parking lot access adjacent to parking space)-$20

No vehicle shall be operated:

  1. In violation of directional signs
  2. At a speed in excess of 25 miles per hour campus-wide or unless otherwise displayed - $30
  3. In a reckless or careless manner-$50
  4. With disregard to any traffic sign and/or pavement markings-$30
  5. Playing music that may be heard outside of vehicle-$20
  6. While texting-$20

Fines may be paid at the College Cashier’s Office. Failure to pay fines will result in student registration and graduation holds, and may result in towing of the vehicle at the owner’s expense.

If a student chooses to appeal traffic or parking citations, they must pick up a Traffic Violation Appeal form in the Auxiliary Department or Police Department. The form is to be completed by the student and submitted to the Police Department to be reviewed by the Chief of Police. Once a determination has been made the results will be mailed to the student’s address listed on his/her Admissions records.

Fines may also be issued for littering ($20) and smoking ($20).