Academic Bankruptcy

A student may make a request in writing to the Registrar that he/she be allowed to declare academic bankruptcy under the following conditions:

  1. Academic bankruptcy is initiated by a written request from the student to the registrar/records official.
  2. Upon receipt of the student’s request, the college will inform the student that an award of academic bankruptcy may impact his/her financial aid status.
  3. Academic bankruptcy may only be declared once and may be applied to no more than three (3) semesters, which do not have to be consecutive.
  4. The bankrupted courses and grades remain on the transcript but are not calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA.
  5. None of the coursework taken during a semester for which academic bankruptcy is declared including hours completed satisfactorily, will be used to fulfill degree requirements. 
  6. Developmental courses successfully completed during a period of academic bankruptcy can be used to fulfill prerequisites.
  7. To be eligible for academic bankruptcy, the student must have complete 12 semester credit hours of coursework at the college since the most recent semester for which the academic bankruptcy is requested. A grade of “C”, “S”, or higher is required in each course in 12 semester credit hours in the post-bankruptcy period. 
  8. When a student received a declaration of academic bankruptcy, a permanent notation of “ACADEMIC BANKRUPTCY” will be reflected on the transcript for each semester affected.
  9. Approval of the academic bankruptcy status at a college does not guarantee other institutions will honor that status. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institution(s).